viernes, 30 de enero de 2009

New Years Day will be Haunted Mansion Rock? (English)





Many New Years Day supporters have been trying to know what happened to the band. The released My Dear, they did the Warped Tour, they were on top and suddenly they disappeared.

Ash Costello, New Years Day frontwoman has finally told everything about it. It´s a very sad story from someone who had a dream and has to see how everything comes down. She explained in a bulletin why New Years Day is not active at the moment. Ash is trying to fight for her dream, is trying to free the band. So let´s help her.

And let´s support her new project, Haunted Mansion Rock.

This is her story :



"The short/long story about what is happening to NYD
2008 was a hard year for everyone.Not excluding myself.


I used to perform in my living room to an imaginary audience when I was 12. I would pretend to be Gwen Stefani or Monique Powell. I spent a lot of my early teen years dreaming of singing and being in a band. I had a rough time as a pre-teen. I was a weird looking girl and I had watched my parents go through a rough divorce. My nose had grown before the rest of my face and I was as skinny and bony as someone could be while still being healthy. I would dream of being this star and hope that someday I would make music of my own.I would think, if only ONE person feels what I am singing then I will be happy.


I started my first band, "Perilous" when I was 14. We were a 9 piece ska band complete with a 4 person horn section. We played school dances and backyard parties. When I was 17 I started another band called "Face the Fact." We recorded a record and graduated to playing shows at more renown venues like Chain Reaction, The Glasshouse and The Roxy. We did a few showcases for managers and labels but nothing ever came from it. We had a few fans and put out one record.


Then we broke up and I went to school like all the adults in my life told me to do. I went to Art school in San Francisco and aspired to be a comic book artist. My love of comic books, especially Johnny the Homicidal Maniac is what got me through high school. That only lasted one semester. It wasn't music. I dropped out, and came back home to start another band.


To make a very LONG story short.


New Years Day just kind of happened. It seemed like a random string of events over a year that happened out of sheer luck. A. A&R named Kevin Knight from Chrysalis Publishing had seen me sing in Face the Fact at Chain Reaction. He believed in me from the start. I was given some songs that were written by various other artists including Patrick from Fall Out Boy and Justin from Motion City Soundtrack. I recorded them in my best friend, Eugene Perarras house. Keith I met at a part a year earlier. We were instant best friends. Adam was his best friend. Adam heard what I had been working on and thought I might like a song called Ready Aim Misfire. It was then that we all fell in love with each other and with the music we had decided to make. New Years Day was the band I had always dreamed of having. Labels were interested so fast. Although it all seemed to fall from the sky it was far from easy. We had been turned down by a few labels which never felt good. We were dropped from our booking agency with no explanation to why. We spent a grueling year in the studio funding our own record because no one else would. We lived in the studio. We dedicated almost everyday to making music. I felt like a homeless gypsy but its the best I had ever felt. I had made an album of music I was proud of, music that even I loved to listen to! Then we were finally signed to a label called TVT records. I will elaborate on that later.


We toured a few times and played for hardly anyone around the country at first. It grew and grew. When we did warped tour and the Red Jumpsuit tour I felt like I was living in a dream. All that hard work had paid off. Playing in no name clubs with shit bands for five people was paying off. Fans were singing along and telling me how much the album meant to them. It was like I was dead. All I had ever wished for was coming true. We were playing on the big stage to huge crowds all summer. Just thinking about it I feel so overwhelmed with joy. The RJA tour was even more incredible. Imagine your wildest dreams, then imagine what it would feel like to be living it for real.


That's where it ended.


A lot of people say NYD was as close as a band could be without making that last step that breaks them through.

NYD got a phone call December of 2007 saying TVT had gone bankrupt. TVT records had no idea what to do with us. It was over before it had started. They spent money in wrong places and put hardly any marketing behind us at all. Our fans couldn't even find our records in the stores. That's because only 8000 albums were shipped for the ENTIRE U.S.! They knew they were going bankrupt even before they signed us. There was no more money to tour and no more money to push the record. Then it was done. "My Dear" was done. Not only this, but I couldn't even shop NYD to another label, we were still owned by "The Orchard" the distribution company NOT even a label, that bought out TVT. They stopped returning our phone calls. My manager stops calling me. Whenever I ask him what I am supposed to do, what this means for NYD all he can say is " Break up. That's all you can do. " My lawyer says the same thing, when all I want to do is fight to break NYD free and try to find another label. The stress of this got to the members of NYD so much that Russ, Mike, Keith and Adam had all quit and swore off the music industry for life. Keith moved to Sweden, Mike moved to Maryland, Russ went back to school and Adam married. I was the last member standing, again.


I have sat all of 2008 trying to figure out on my own something that is over my head. It doesn't seem fair or right.


I spent a lot of the first part of 2008 very depressed. It felt like going through a divorce. I had my heart ripped out from my chest so many times in my life, by family, friends and guys that I just wasn't prepared for it to be taken by the most amazing love I had ever had. By NYD.

There were some days I wouldn't want to get out of my bed and didn't. It was the first time I didn't feel that passion and drive for music. I felt the love of my life, everything I had worked so hard for, everything that made up who I was, had been ripped from my hands. I thank god for my family and for the love of my life, who I had met on an NYD tour a year earlier for getting me through it. At one point I felt like just giving up. I went through the darkest time of my life.


An entire year has gone by. The longest time since I was 13 that I haven't played shows or made music and I cant handle it anymore. I cant throw away what I am.


I don't know what to say about New Years Day. What I can say is the fans on myspace have had a huge part of getting me back into the right state of mind again. I owe a lot to all of you.

I wish to God that I had the answers. The truth is I don't know yet.Its a horrible feeling to not know what the fate of NYD is. Right now I want to fight but I am not larger than the system of the failing music industry I want to do everything in my power to save NYD.

All I know is I couldn't wait to make music. So I am happy to tell you that the first of Jan I went back into the studio with Russ and Anthony of NYD and Eugene our former producer. We are writing new songs and I am SO excited. Its hard to say what it will sound like in the end. I have found love this year but also lost love again in another way. I went through a dark phase. All of this will play a part. I feel the music will be more haunting, a little less kitschy. Harder and a little more mad. But I also feel inspired and have a new found sense of independence and strength. We have named it HAUNTED MANSION ROCK for now. It sounds as if NYD had taken a few steps forward. To me, its everything I want to hear and everything that makes me happy.

I know I am going to have to rely on myself and no one else for this record. Which is scary but also I'm looking forward to the feeling I will have when I see all of you singing along and know that I made it straight from my heart only.


In the end, its going to come down to me, the music, and you. ALL of you. The music industry is failing right now. That is obvious to see when no one is buying cds anymore. When every record store is closing down. The last stores to sell cds by my house were 3 Virgin Mega stores, all of which are gone now. It is a scary time to be a musician. I need all of you to keep our plays up and keep writing to my myspace and leaving comments and making cute youtube videos like most of you are so good at.


Lets hope a little luck is on my side because I am about to give it everything I have, again for another time."

0 comentarios/comments: